Wednesday 27 October 2010

GUEST BLOG - FLOWERS BY KAREN

My first guest blog spot goes to Flowers by Karen, a well established and respected floristry business based in Kilmarnock.

Karen has delighted brides from all over south west Scotland with her artistic creativity and first class customer service.

Karen is also my sister and I have used her services on many occasions including my own wedding way back in 2002.
I am delighted to share Karen's thoughts on Wedding Flowers with you - here's what she had to say:

You have been in floristry for 18 and had your own business for the last 8 years. What changes have you seen in that time?


Floristry is a fast moving industry with new styles and techniques changing all the time. Whether it is basic floristry, corporate or bridal, there is a constant change in trends. The change can be seen in the makeup style of the flowers or the products used to accessorise the flowers. Recent trends have seen a shift from the ever popular hand tied bouquet in water to more modern sculptured pieces created in oasis and with use of accessories such as coloured wire, midilino sticks, diamonte pins and much more.

How would you describe your take on ‘Wedding Flowers’?

We have a very open approach to wedding work, we cater to every bride individually as their requirements are all so different. All our brides are asked to provide us with a rough idea of style, then during our fact finding consultation we build a picture of what the bride is looking for. Once we reach this stage we can then begin to discuss flower choice and texture of the pieces. As we are renowned for modern floristry, I would say our “take” on wedding flowers is more contemporoary with a modern twist, but if our bride is a traditionalist, then we can create a perfect conventional piece to compliment.

What is the price range of your wedding flowers?

Our prices vary depending on the flower choice, we do not have a set minimum cost. Some flowers are extremely expensive at certain times of the year so we are careful to advise our brides in their choices.For example red roses for a Feburary wedding would be more expensive than at any other time of year due to Valentines day. Calla Lilies are expensive through from May till September due to the demand of this popular wedding flower.Our pricelist is a mere guideline, and costings are based on roses (as they are still the most popular choice of wedding flower).

What is the most important advice you can give to brides when selecting their wedding flowers?

We always ask for a description or a photograph of the gown, we advise that a bouquet should compliment the dress. If the gown is plain, then a more detailed style would be recommended, and if the dress is extremely detailed then a simpler version would look better. We also advise our brides how to hold there flowers to get maximum impact for both flowers and gown in the photographs.


Please tell us a little about yourself, your background and how you developed your business

I have been in the Floristry industry for 18 years. I started out as a Saturday girl, with all the usual Saturday girl duties. It wasn’t long before I got the bug. I believe floristry is one of those jobs that get’s a hold of you. I continued to work on a Saturday while I attended university. I gained a BA hons in Media and got a job with a newspaper selling advertising space. After a couple of years, I wanted to get back into the floristry industry, and at the age of 24 I opened Flowers By Karen in Bank Street, Kilmarnock. 3 years later I opened our second branch in Darvel. Due to family commitments ( 2 children) I decided to sell the Darvel branch in Dec last year, letting me focus on my family and my flagship branch. Flowers by Karen Kilmarnock is going from strength to strength. We have a dedicated group of experienced florists and staff. I am currently off on maternity and I am expecting a new arrival any day now.

My staff and I would be delighted to discuss you requirements with you and provide a no obligation consultation service.

Flowers by Karen
10 Bank St Kilmarnock
Tel 01563 522233

You can also contact Karen by email, and keep up to date with her on facebook

http://www.flowerskilmarnock.co.uk/
http://www.weddingflowersayrshire.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment