Thursday 3 February 2011

GUEST BLOG - CRAFTY CARDS

It gives me great pleasure to highlight the fantastic work of a lovely lady and good friend Dawn Mitchell, owner of VOWS award winning company Crafty Cards. Dawn and I have been 'neighbours' at the Scottish Wedding Show for the past 5 years. Here's what she has to say...
Please tell us a little about yourself, your background and how you developed your business.

Based in Glenrothes, Fife, Crafty Cards began as a hobby for me, Dawn Mitchell, 10 years ago, making everyday cards. At the time I worked as a part-time doctor’s receptionist and was approached by a couple of work colleagues asking if I would make their wedding stationery. My initial reaction was to say no as there is a HUGE difference between making a couple of birthday cards and making dozens of invitations etc. However, as I am always up for a challenge, I didn’t say no, and worked with the girls until we had a design that suited each of them. The end results were fantastic and the looks on their faces when they received their orders made all the hard work worthwhile. Encouraged by this, I put together a small portfolio of designs and armed with these, attended a couple of local wedding exhibitions. For me, these were a huge success and in 2002 I took the plunge, left my job and decided to take on board my business full time. Since then I’ve never looked back. I am extremely to proud to have been nominated for the VOWS awards within the wedding stationery and favours category every year since 2007, and was absolutely delighted to win the award in 2008. Fingers, toes, etc are all crossed that we can be nominated 5 years in a row. To reach this level within what is a very competitive industry is an honour, especially as it is your own customers that have voted and put you there. The bottom line is that I am passionate about what I do and am delighted to have a loyal and trustworthy team working with me.

Please describe the services you offer?

I work closely with my customers designing and creating handmade wedding stationery which is tailored to suit their own individual requirements. With attention to detail a priority, I work with my customers to achieve stationery that sets the tone for their forthcoming special day. Being based at home gives me the flexibility to meet with customers to discuss their needs, at times which suit them. Customers can choose from my extensive range of designs or by working with them, I can create a design which is unique to them. By working closely with them in this way allows me to build up a one-to-one service. I am aware that every client, budget and design are different and adapt myself to this.

What is the price range of your wedding stationery?

Prices start from £1.95 - £4.95 with the average cost being approx £2.80 per item. Costs can vary depending on design and item.

How do you assist couples when selecting their wedding stationery?
Choosing wedding stationery is very personal. I like to ensure the design which is eventually decided upon is one which reflects the couple themselves. They need to give their wedding stationery a great deal of thought, as most want their guests to display their invitation on the mantelpiece and to keep it as a reminder of the special day. Their first consideration should be the style of their wedding which can be reflected in their stationery. They should decide how much extra information, apart the basics such as date, time and place they may want to give their guests. Many modern day invitations have an internal pocket which can be used to house reply and/or information cards, possibly giving guests details about transport, directions to the venue, gift lists, menus etc. After a design has been chosen, the next step is to decide on how formal or informal the wording inside should be. Family situations often mean that traditional wording is often unsuitable and needs to be replaced with a more suitable format. I have a selection of wordings which can be changed to suit and will work with the couple to ensure that what they decide most suits them. I will advise them on timescales, what to order and when final details should be provided at each stage of the order progress, with time allowances for proof checking and changes. Although choosing wedding stationery may seem like a daunting task, I am always prepared to listen to what the customers wants and am more than happy to adapt designs etc to suit their requirements. After all, no two couples are ever the same. Having dealt with in excess of 1000 couples over the last eight and a half years, believe me, this is so true. Wedding stationery is a chance to make a lasting impression on guests, before, during and after the wedding day. Couples should make the most of this opportunity to have fun and be creative!!


Have you ever worked for/with anyone famous?

Over the years I have produced wedding stationery for several football players and their fiancés. For legal reasons their names cannot be given but let’s just say they are top Scottish footballers.

You have been in the wedding industry for over 8 years. What changes have you seen in this time?

I am amazed at how big the wedding industry has become over the years and what is now available out there for the bride and groom. When I first exhibited at the Scottish Wedding Show in 2003 there were just over 100 exhibitors. At the most recent show there were well over 300!!!! It goes without saying that designs have changed. Although I still carry a few from my initial portfolio, I find myself moving with the times and in order to accommodate ever changing fashion and styles I regularly have to re-vamp designs to suit the more recent trends. As I have already mentioned, I love what I do and to be a part of an ever growing and changing industry is an honour. Here’s hoping the next 8 years are just as good, if not better.


I would like to thank Dawn for taking the time to share her thoughts and advice. For more information on Dawn's services please visit http://www.craftycards.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment